Outside Lands Running List
Confirmed In for Outside Lands 2018
Confirmed Out for Outside Lands 2018
- Foo Fighters - San Jose show in September rules them out
- U2 - San Jose show in May
- Roger Waters - Touring in Europe during Outside Lands 2018 dates
- All 2016/17 OSL Headliners - Gorillaz, Metallica, The Who, Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Lionel richie
- Weezer / The Pixies - Have a Shoreline show August 7th
- Franz Ferdinand - Oakland show in May
- P!NK - San Francisco show in May
- Sam Smith - Oakland and San Jose shows in April and May
Rumored / Seems Likely for Outside Lands 2018
Outside Lands 2018 Lineup Predictions
Yes, Outside Lands 2018 is still months away, but who doesn't like some fun speculation? This article goes over who I think will be headlining Outside Lands, as well as some other options who are sure to be in the mix based on projected album released, upcoming tours dates, and other factors. We will also keep a running list of acts who are confirmed in or out for Outside Lands, as well as those who are rumored. Let's begin with the headliners.
My Outside Lands Headliner Predictions
Firstly just note I have no inside information, I am just like who: someone who loves Outside Lands and loves speculating on lineups. Anyways, this is who I see headlining Outside Lands 2018:
Headliner #1: Jack White
Jack White is all but confirmed to be returning to our lives soon with a new album, and new albums mean new tours. Jack White often does the festival circuit when he tours, last appearing at the top of the billings for many festivals in 2014 and Coachella in 2015. Despite him headlining many festivals those years, Outside Lands wasn't one of them. In fact Jack White has never headlined Outside Lands, making him due. I really think he fits what the festival has done in the past, and the stars have aligned with his new album and when he is expected to be touring. I expect Jack White to be headlining one day at Outside Lands.
Headliner #2: Eminem
Probably a longer shot, but I think this is the year Eminem headlines some festivals he hasn't headlined before, including Outside Lands. Yes, I know he gets a ton of shit for not being that great of a live performer, but I still am hoping this happens. If you look at artists who can fill a two hour headlining set with a ton of classics and fun songs, there are few with a greater arsenal than Shady. OSL doesn't always have a hip hop headliner, but after not selling out last year I expect a bit of a more mainstream approach this year, and Eminem would surely sell a lot of tickets. He has a new album due out soon and has played many festivals (Lolla, Bonnaroo, ACL, etc) in the past: 2018 could be Outside Lands time.
Headliner #3: Arcade Fire
Arcade Fire last headlined Outside Lands in 2011, so it's definitely been enough time for them to headline OSL again. They are going to be touring their new album, Everything Now, through 2018 into 2019, which means Outside Lands is definitely in play. In the summer of 2017 Arcade Fire played a ton of festivals, but they were all in Europe besides Lollapalooza. They are a band that rose to fame through epic performances at festivals, so I fully am expecting them to headline a lot of festivals in the United States in 2018. I see them like Radiohead in 2015: headlining multiple festivals such as Bonnaroo, Austin City Limits and yes, Outside Lands.
Legacy Act Prediction: Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac is planning a reunion tour for 2018, and they seem like a perfect fit for the legacy act in 2018. Typically OSL features an older, "legacy" act such as Lionel Richie, Paul McCartney or others. Fleetwood Mac makes a ton of sense for 2018 since they will be touring and it's probably the festivals last years to snag them. There's a lot of acts who could go in this spot (Depeche Mode, Bruce Springsteen, etc), but I see Fleetwood Mac getting it.
Other Headliners In The Mix
So those are my picks, but obviously there's a lot of people in the mix. Here's some other potential Outside Lands headliners.
- Chance The Rapper - Outside Lands is pretty much the only festival Chance didn't headline last year, so he is definitely in the mix for next year
- Tool - New album out next year (allegedly) and they did headline a couple of festivals in 2017 like Governors Ball and Boston Calling. If OSL books Metallica I can see them booking Tool as well
- Bjork - Never played OSL and I think she would still headline. Her new album is out and likely will be doing some festivals in 2018
- Kanye West - Unlikely given he has gone AWOL and headlined in 2014, but always a possiblity
- Muse - A classic festival headliner that is always in play
- Kings of Leon - God I hope not but they are a possibility
- Imagine Dragons - Echo my sentiments above
Did I miss anyone? Let me know in the comments below and I can add them to our list. As we get closer to Outside Lands we should learn a lot based on tour dates; stay tuned for updates as news comes!