- Life Is Beautiful comes down to a simple choice for most: stay in downtown Las Vegas or stay on the Strip
- The Strip is far from Life Is Beautiful, but it will have more going on and has more hotel options
- Downtown won’t be as happening as the Strip but there are still plenty of casinos and bars, and you will be able to walk to Life Is Beautiful
Life Is Beautiful has a great location in downtown Las Vegas. Many music festivals are out in the middle of nowhere, but Life Is Beautiful is surrounded by the action of Las Vegas. The big decision for most people with accommodations for Life Is Beautiful is where to stay: The Strip or Downtown Las Vegas. This article goes over the pros and cons of each area. I can’t make the decision for you, but hopefully I can help clarify what you get with each option for Life Is Beautiful.
Downtown vs. The Strip
If you aren’t familiar with Las Vegas there are two general areas to stay: The Strip or Downtown. Life Is Beautiful takes place in Downtown so that will be closer to the festival. This is also where the famous Fremont Street Experience is located. The Strip is where all the famous things in Las Vegas are: the Bellagio Fountains, the Eiffel Tower, the Mirage Volcano, etc. The Strip is also where you are going to find the megaclubs, pool parties and general debauchery of Las Vegas.
Where you choose to stay for Life Is Beautiful really depends on what you are trying to get out of your trip: are you there strictly for Life Is Beautiful or are you there to go to the festival and enjoy Las Vegas. Some people only head to Life Is Beautiful late in the day or go with single day passes, so enjoying Las Vegas is a higher priority. Others purchase a 3 day pass to Life Is Beautiful and want to be there early each day. Depending on what you want out of your trip you should book accommodations appropriately.
Getting to Life Is Beautiful
Regardless of where you stay for Life Is Beautiful it’s fairly easy to get to the festival. We have a full article on getting to Life Is Beautiful from both The Strip and Downtown. If you are concerned about transportation to the festival I suggest you check it out.
Pros of Staying Downtown for Life Is Beautiful
- Location: As I’ve mentioned, Life Is Beautiful takes place in downtown Las Vegas. Specifically, Life Is Beautiful takes up the area from 7th to 11th streets between Mesquite and Carson Avenue. Regardless of what hotel you book in downtown near Fremont Street, you should be able to walk to Life Is Beautiful. In general the main area of Fremont Street will be about a 10-minute walk into the festival. Compared to other music festivals it doesn’t get much easier than this. This is the biggest pro for staying in Downtown for Life Is Beautiful.
- Price: Fremont Street will be more expensive during Life Is Beautiful than it will be during other times of the year, but it’s still fairly reasonably priced for a music festival. Most of the better hotels downtown will be between $150 and $200 a night, but there are definitely cheaper options.
- Cheaper Overall: Not only will be hotel be reasonably priced downtown for Life Is Beautiful but everything in general will be cheaper. Restaurants, bars, snacks, etc – everything is cheaper away from the Strip. The Strip is the land of $23 cocktails, whereas downtown appeals to a more blue collar crowd. You can find dollar beers and cheap cocktails all over the place. Yes, inside Life Is Beautiful will be expensive, but outside the festival things will be cheaper.
- You Can Still Go To The Strip: It’s not like staying downtown for Life Is Beautiful restricts you to the area: you can easily Uber to the Strip if you ever want to go out after Life Is Beautiful or want to attend a music festival. Travelling to the Strip is about a $20 cab ride depending on where on the Strip you want to head.
Cons of Staying Downtown for Life Is Beautiful
- It Adds Up Going to the Strip: Yes you can still go to the Strip, but you do need to pay for it each time. This can add up if you are regularly going there for pool parties, nightclubs or more. Life Is Beautiful ends at 1:00 a.m. daily, which is fairly early for Las Vegas so you may want to go out afterwards.
- Different Party Scene: Downtown Las Vegas has plenty of bars and drinking, but it’s not exactly what you imagine when you think of Las Vegas typically. There are no opulent nightclubs, mega pool parties, etc. It’s more of a blue collar place with some good bars and cheap drinks – it’s rather divey. If you want to really party Las Vegas style you will need to go to The Strip. This is why I mentioned above it depends if you are travelling to Las Vegas for Life Is Beautiful or more to party.
Pros of Staying on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful
- Vegas Baby: If you don’t frequent Vegas often then the Strip could be appealing for Life Is Beautiful. This is where you are going to find the megaclubs, the best pool parties, the nicest bars, etc. If you don’t mind showing up late to Life Is Beautiful or want to party afterwards then the Strip is where you want to be.
- More Happening Scene: Linked with above but the Strip is definitely more happening: there are more people and just more going on in general. Downtown is more happening during Life Is Beautiful than normal, but it’s still not The Strip.
- More Hotel Options: Whether you want to be opulent (Bellagio, Wynn, Venetian, Aria) or you want budget accommodations (Excalibur, Stratosphere) the Strip has a hotel for every budget. You have a lot more options with hotels on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful than you do with downtown.
Cons of Staying on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful
- Location: If you stay on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful you are at best 5 miles or so from the festival. If you stay on the south end of the Strip you are looking at closer to 10 miles and a long ride in. This means every day you are going to have a journey to Life Is Beautiful: this eats up a lot of time (traffic) and money depending on how you are getting to Life Is Beautiful.
- Pricey: Outside of Switzerland and South Beach Miami I have found Las Vegas to be the most expensive place I have travelled. They get you in with the cheap hotel but then absolutely everything: coffee, food, beer, cocktails, etc. – is expensive. Las Vegas is always more expensive than you plan. If you stay on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful expect to spend money.
My Recommendation for Life Is Beautiful
Personally I recommend staying downtown and not on the Strip for Life Is Beautiful. The ability to just walk to Life Is Beautiful from your hotel is just too nice of an option. Plus, if you ever want to leave Life Is Beautiful to run back to your room or get a cheap drink it will be much easier if you are just staying downtown. Personally when I attend Life Is Beautiful I am there for the festival, not for Vegas. I recommend just going with a downtown Las Vegas hotel for Life Is Beautiful. The best hotels downtown are Golden Nugget, The Grand and the Four Queens. Any of these are fine, but honestly I’d just get any hotel near Fremont Street and you will have a great spot for Life Is Beautiful.
If you do decide to go with the Strip for Life Is Beautiful I would strongly suggest staying on the north end of the Strip. This will be closer to downtown and drastically cut down on your trips to Life Is Beautiful in both cost and time. The hotels closest on the north end of the Strip will be Stratosphere, Treasure Island, Wynn/Encore and Venetian/Palazzo. These will be past the main area of the Strip and really cut down on your trip to Life Is Beautiful. These hotels cover a range of price ranges so you should be able to find something in your budget. These hotels give you a good balance of access to the fun of the Strip and aren’t too far from Life Is Beautiful. An Uber or Taxi to Life Is Beautiful will likely be $15/$20.
Nearly everyone who attends Life Is Beautiful stays either in downtown near Fremont Street or on the Strip. I personally recommend downtown as it gives you easy access to Life Is Beautiful, but you can go with the Strip if you want. As I mentioned, if you want to enjoy the Strip and Life Is Beautiful just stay on the north end of the Strip.